Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Leap of Faith

May 7th, 2008 has been a very important day for Alice.

The day had been quite hot and so my Husband, a friend, Farley dog, Alice and I went for a walk along the brook that runs behind our house. Alice was playing in the water with Farley like she normally does. She seemed like she might want to go right in though, and so I coaxed her along and then My Husband and friend joined in and cheered her on too. Just like she had been doing it her whole life she slipped into water over her head and swam. She's 5 months, 2 days!!

She's been in the water almost every day for about 2 months now but she hadn't taken that final leap of faith. When she did today it was a beautiful sight to behold. Another big door has opened for her.




I was really impressed by how effortless she made it look. It is very exciting to have a dog that loves to be in the water and I can't wait to swim with her this summer!




Alice turned 5 months old on Monday which also happened to be Cinco de Mayo! She weighs an impressive 46 pounds and I have taken to calling her my Slinky because of of lean and wiggly she is :)




I love how she is so happy to be around me! I can make her tail wag by just looking her way. For as serious as she can be she is also one very happy girl and when she does that happy Lab dance/wiggle I feel like the luckiest girl around!



4 comments:

Helen said...

Oh, swimming girl!!! She's so beautiful! When will it be warm enough for you to get in there with her??

XOXOXO

The Bad Buddha said...

We have 3 labs and a golden retriever. Our youngest is a little over 6 months old. Our 3 eldest are very much water dogs--in fact, to see our golden retriever DIVE for his toy in 8 ft of water is impressive. We have a sneaking suspicion the 6 month old will be the worst of the lot. Once he figured our there's water under the pool cover, we can't get him off it. It will be interesting to see. The pool will be opened on May 17.....specifically for the dogs, of course.

Alice's Mama said...

helen - Probably about another month and I'll get in the fresh water with her. I actually had my toes in the ocean today :)

xoxoxo

Alice's Mama said...

the bad buddha - Wow, you have lucky dogs! I am thinking about getting Alice a small pool of her own, though we do have a brook that runs behind the house.

Alice is in the water every day now. We got her a Wubba (http://www.wubbaworld.com/) and she loves retrieving it.

I have no doubt she'll be a diver too. She is always shoving her head under water to get rocks and sticks. She's so much fun!