Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sad Sack - Alice gets spayed!

So, Alice went to be spayed on Wednesday.

We had her at the vet for 8am and as my Husband was driving out of the driveway with her I was crying. She looked so sweet and innocent in the back of the car and probably thought she was going for a swim.

By 3pm I was at the vet to get my girl and she was more then ready to get out of there!

I wasn't prepared for how much pain she was in though. Over 13 years ago when we got Abbey spayed she stayed overnight so when I went to get her she was happy and pain free. Alice however was in a lot of pain and cried and moaned and tried to run from it and it broke my heart to watch. She stayed outside till midnight and either my Husband or I stayed with her. At one point I wrapped her up in the blanket she was laying on and she looked so little and vulnerable. Loving another being truly is like having your heart be on the outside of your body.

It took till 4am till she finally settled down. We brought our spare mattress downstairs and my Husband and Alice slept in the living room. There wasn't enough room for me too so I was by myself upstairs. I don't think either of us slept well.

When I came downstairs the next morning a very different Alice was waiting to greet me. She was no longer crying out in pain for the simple act for wagging her tail. She was full of kisses and gently did her lab wiggle around my feet.

She had a pretty quiet day Thursday and I took a picture that sums up how she was feeling about things. (you can click to make bigger and use your browsers back butting to return here)

poor sad sack

Poor sad sack :( She rarely lays in her kennel. We keep it outside in a shady place in case she wants to lay in it. She decided to take advantage of the comfy blanket and the cave-like space, I guess.

Now today she is almost back to her old self. She doesn't care about the incision and doesn't seem to mind the shaved belly either. I'm happy about that because I really didn't want to put one of those crazy collars on her. Next week I can take her swimming again and by next weekend she should be able to play with her BDF (best doggie friend) Farley. I think everyone , especially Alice, will be happy when that happens!

And before I forget, a few stats. On Monday Alice will be 29 weeks old and as of this Wednesday past she weighed 56 pounds. She's still very much my little Alice though, and probably still will be when she's way too big to be sitting on my lap anymore. I doubt size will ever stop her from trying and seeing as how I am head over heels for this dog I doubt I'll ever try to stop her.

Ain't love grand :)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor sweet baby. It's worse than staring down a bull bison. But she had a lot of love to pull her through.